To provide you with the best experience, cookies are used on this site. Find out more here.

Allow cookies

Other Websites

Sign up - Contact

Nyhetsbrev - Kontakt

Norwegian Skimuseum in Morgedal

The starting point for any visit to Morgedal, this is a striking building which houses a multimedia journey through skiing's history with special attention paid to the skiing revolution which developed out from Morgedal in the 1850's.

Displays inside the museum include a big screen pre-show depicting the development of skiing over the last 4000 years, Morgedal in the 1850s, a ski making workshop, First to the south pole, Norway's first ski wax factory, Olympic flame history and displays and a wide format, 3 screen telemark ski film that will give you the urge to strap on some skis!

Outside the building the Olympic flame is burning still out on the lake. The flame was lit for the first time here in Morgedal for the Oslo winter games in 1952. It was lit here again for the Squaw Valley and Lillehammer Winter Olympics in 1960 and 1994 respectively.

Øverbø in Morgedal

Smallholding where skiing legend Sondre Norheim was born. Norheim himself built the house still standing today. A track is marked from the village.

Sondre Auversson Norheim (1825-1897) is considered the grand pioneer of modern skiing. Sondre was born at this smallholding in Øverbø. Sondre became a master of many varieties of skiing, such as cross-country, skijump and slalom. He made modifications to the ski and its bindings.

Sondre became poor, and in 1884, he emigrated to the U.S, where he is buried in Minot, North Dakota. A statue of Norheim, by Knut Skinnarland is at the Ski Adventure in Morgedal and in Minot.

In the house at Øverbø, the first winter Olympic flame was lit in 1952, and later in 1960 and in 1994.

Guided tours available upon request at Norwegian Ski Adventure.

Search Accommodation

Type:
Location:

Search Things to Do

Type:
Location:
Name / Keyword:

Search What's On

Name / Keyword:
Dates

Search Eating & Drinking

Name / Keyword:

Vest-Telemark Museum

-

Eidsborg

-

3880 Dalen

-

(+47) 35 06 90 90

-

post@vtm.no